May 15 | TASTE BEYOND
Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie
Calling all chocolate chip cookie monsters!
Your omnivorous friends and family will never guess that this decadent treat is vegan, gluten-free and refined sugar-free. This healthier alternative arguably tastes better than the traditional cookie. And I write this in confidence as it has not only been one of my reader’s favorite recipes from my blog, but my most requested to re-bake for my tasters, (aka: friends and family). I adapted this recipe from one of my favorite gourmet plant-based chefs, Yvonne Ardestani of The Eclectic Kitchen.
1/2 cup unrefined virgin coconut oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup lukewarm filtered water
1 cup coconut palm sugar
1/4 tsp sea salt or himalayan salt
2 cups garbanzo bean flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup vegan chocolate chips*
*Recommended: dark vegan chocolate chips sweetened with stevia, coconut palm sugar or raw cane sugar
Note: The dough tastes different than the cookie once baked.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
2. In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the coconut oil, vanilla extract, water, coconut palm sugar, and sea salt.
3. In a small bowl, mix the garbanzo bean flour and baking powder.
4. Add the dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir with a spoon to combine.
5. Add in the chocolate chips.
(It’s recommended to chill the batter in the refrigerator for about 7 minutes prior to scooping so the cookies are more likely to spread when baking).
6. Round into cookie balls (about 2-inches wide is recommended)
7. Place cookie dough balls onto a half sheet pan, lined with a Silpat mat or parchment paper.
8. If you want flatter cookies, press down your hand or a rubber spatula just a bit. I kept the ball-like shape.
9. You should be able to fit 12-15 cookies onto a half sheet pan.
10. Bake for 9-11 minutes or until they start to just brown at the bottom.
11. Allow the cookies to rest on the half sheet pan for about 2-3 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.
Share Your Thoughts with the Author
- I am Beautiful.
- I Belong.
- I am Kind.
- I am Me.
- I Live my Life Beyond.