Love is in the air. Red roses, chocolates and teddy bears are popping up everywhere around us with Valentine’s Day just around the corner. Whether you’re in a relationship or single, this holiday is a reminder to celebrate love.
But remember: the first person to accept and love is yourself. I don’t mean that in a selfish way, but in a self-affirming and self-empowering way! Only when you can accept yourself, can you fully accept, love and appreciate others.
Let’s not limit the celebration and cultivation of love to Valentine’s Day, but let this day be the beginning of a daily appreciation of love.
Here are 5 ways to open your heart chakra and feel the love:
1. Loving-Kindness Meditation
- Begin by finding a comfortable seated position, either on a chair with your feet flat on the floor or on the floor sitting up on a cushion or yoga block.
- With your inhale begin to lengthen your spine and exhale to root your feet or hips into the earth.
- Start to expand your inhales and exhales, breathing all the way down into your belly, letting it rise and fall with every breath.
- On your next inhale, bring your awareness to your heart center. Think about someone (a loved one, baby, pet, family member or friend) who you love unconditionally. Picture them in your mind’s eye and silently say to them: “May you be happy. May you be healthy. May you be free from suffering. May you live in ease.” Feel each statement from you heart.
- Now begin to offer loving kindness to yourself. Imagine your face in front of you. And then silently repeat, “May you be happy. May you be healthy. May you be free from suffering. May you live in ease.”
- Next think of a neutral person (maybe your barista or checkout person at the grocery store). With your intention on them silently repeat “May you be happy. May you be healthy. May you be free from suffering. May you live in ease.”
- Then think of a challenging person in your life and do your best to send them loving-kindness from your heart, repeating to them “May you be happy. May you be healthy. May you be free from suffering. May you live in ease.”
- Then bring your awareness back to your heart, stay for another few breaths, and when you feel ready, gently blink your eyes open.
2. Rose Oil Meditation
- Find a comfortable seat.
- Place a few drops of Rose essential oil in the palms of your hands.
- Rub your palms together a few times.
- Close your eyes and cup the palms over your nose. Make sure to not touch your eyes.
- Now take deep inhales and guide the exquisite fragrance of rose to your heart.
- Give yourself permission to connect to your true essence and allow the healing and loving qualities of Rose oil to touch your heart at its deepest level.
3. Quartz Crystal Meditation
- Find a comfortable seat.
- Place your favorite rose quartz crystal into the palms of your hands and hold it there for a few breaths.
- As you deepen your breaths, feel how the crystal is warming up to your touch and begin to sense its vibration and energy.
- Now program the crystal in your hands with an intention like “I am loved, and I am love” or “I am enough” or “I fully love and accept myself.”
- Repeat your intention silently a few times and when you feel ready, lift your hands up to your heart center, cupping both hands over your heart and the crystal.
- Open your heart and receive the loving and healing energies of your intention and the rose quartz.
Remember the love that you are. Many blessings from my heart to yours!